• What? Me Worry?
  • Group: GLOBAL MODERATORS
  • Interests:Penguins, Pirates, Steelers, Pitt FB, Pitt BB, PSU FB
    Sleeping

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Wired.com Article

Interesting. Many players may start to retire earlier? :unsure:

They better go get Sid checked.

I still don't see how scanning your Pet has anything to do with the human brain.
It's A Great Day for Hockey!!!

Stay out of my profile Goulet!!!

#2 User is offline   Hankey 

• wat
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bedroom Mascots.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Linky

These are supposedly going to start hitting Major Junior teams at some point. It is basically an impact sensor like they use on Mythbusters, but it's data is available on cell phones. It's not super accurate but it can supposedly warn you if the impact was big enough to warrant concern and then the player can get tested.
Everything stated in this message is to be considered my own opinion, and not an official representation of Pensunderground or any other Pensunderground Message Board user. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, and license. Some assembly required. Each sold separately. Batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist, contact a physician. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Keep in a cool dark place. Any disclaimer issued by me is subject to change without notice.

#3 User is offline   billvill 

• Bitch grind no work, brain hurts
  • Group: ADMINISTRATORS
  • Interests:Interesting stuff

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostHankey, on 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Linky

These are supposedly going to start hitting Major Junior teams at some point. It is basically an impact sensor like they use on Mythbusters, but it's data is available on cell phones. It's not super accurate but it can supposedly warn you if the impact was big enough to warrant concern and then the player can get tested.

It's called an accelerometer. I used to sell them (and use them for field applications). The problem with using them to predict injury is that the head is not a fixed object. Head position and movement of the head during impact, either in the direction of force or in the opposite direction can cause seriously erroneous data. Best they can do is position accelerometers in biaxial arrays in at least 4 quadrants of the helmet. At that point however, we're talking about a $1000 helmet.
"Get to your game, boys"
"Coach, our game isn't working"
"Well, grind some bitches, then"

Posted Image

Man, that sixth one stung...

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Badger Bob 

• What? Me Worry?
    Sleeping

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I wonder if guys had more or less concussions before helmets were mandatory in the NHL? Of course, players are bigger and faster and stronger now too, so maybe it's apples and oranges.

#5 User is offline   billvill 

• Bitch grind no work, brain hurts
  • Group: ADMINISTRATORS
  • Interests:Interesting stuff

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostBadger Bob, on 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

I wonder if guys had more or less concussions before helmets were mandatory in the NHL? Of course, players are bigger and faster and stronger now too, so maybe it's apples and oranges.

The Style of play is a bit different too. It's was definitely nasty back in the day, but you didn't see the players targeting the head like they do now (or did until the wrath of Shanny). It might actually be a push. I think with the size of the players and the speed of the game now, the helmets just aren't enough to prevent concussions. What that answer is, I'm not sure. Boards that give move?, no open ice hits? No touch up icing?
"Get to your game, boys"
"Coach, our game isn't working"
"Well, grind some bitches, then"

Posted Image

Man, that sixth one stung...

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Badger Bob 

• What? Me Worry?
    Sleeping

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Postbillvill, on 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

The Style of play is a bit different too. It's was definitely nasty back in the day, but you didn't see the players targeting the head like they do now (or did until the wrath of Shanny). It might actually be a push. I think with the size of the players and the speed of the game now, the helmets just aren't enough to prevent concussions. What that answer is, I'm not sure. Boards that give move?, no open ice hits? No touch up icing?

I'd be interested to see how many guys get concussed as a result of getting hit during touch up icing. I can't imagine too many, but I really have no idea. And if you start to cut back on the hitting, the game loses a good amount of its allure. It's a fine line. I think helmets can only do so much. The brain sloshes around in there regardless if there's a plastic helmet there or not. I kinda like the board idea, but that's gonna be radical and expensive. Of course investments in players are uber expensive. Plus the quality of their lives being affected long term doesn't have a price. I think they're making great advances in detecting concussions and preventing players from playing. But I also think the players hide it to, if they can. One thing is for sure, there's never been such a focus on brain injuries like there is now. That can only be a good thing.

#7 User is offline   Craalkin84 

• Ugh
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

The answer to concussion in football and hockey: Go back to leather helmets.

Are you going to go flying into that defenseless receiver head first if you only got a piece of cowhide protecting your skull?

Are you going to go for that huge hit at the endboards knowing that your target may put up his arms in protection and elbow you in your cowhide-covered head?
Montreal blows

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users