• Group: GLOBAL MODERATORS
  • Interests:Penguins, Pirates, Steelers, Pitt FB, Pitt BB, PSU FB
    Sleeping

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

http://penguins.nhl....s.htm?id=645579

Getting to Know: Paul Thompson
Thursday, 11.15.2012 / 6:00 AM / Features
By Brooks Bratten

During his collegiate career at New Hampshire, Paul Thompson had a knack for showing up on the scoresheet. The winger was named Hockey East Player of the Year his senior season, notching a league-leading 52 points. Entering into his second full season of professional hockey, Thompson has been putting up points once again.

Posted Image

Related Content:

Posted Image Thompson Scores Hat Trick in WBS Win
Posted Image Dupuis: I Want to Play for Pens
Posted Image Morrow: I Have to Prove Myself
Posted Image Reese: Homecoming King
Posted Image Despres Continues Personal Development
Posted Image Penguins Perfect Team for Smith
Posted Image A Passion for Teaching
Posted Image Higher Learning for Former Eagles
Posted Image Veteran Mentors Provide Leadership

The Wilkes-Barre Scranton forward is the club's leading scorer, with six goals and nine points through 12 games this season-including a hat trick on Nov 4 against Bridgeport. Thompson was anxious to get off to a strong start for the Pens, and wants to build on his experiences from last year.

"I think I just learned throughout the course of the year that you've got to come to the rink to work every day as hard as you possibly can," Thompson said at training camp. "That's something that stuck with me and I think I developed a lot last year. I'm looking forward to getting started here."

After going through it last year, Thompson knew what to expect coming into training camp this season. It's something that made things easier for the Methuen, Massachusetts native the second time around.

"You know what (the coaching staff is) expecting and how you're expected to play every day," Thompson said. "It's definitely a bit easier just knowing what to expect coming to the rink every day."

It didn't necessarily come easy last season for Thompson, as he struggled at times to get acclimated to the pro game. He was sent down to Wheeling for a contest last year before getting called back to WBS. Making the transition from college to the pros is something where Thompson realized he had to adjust to in order to succeed.

"It becomes a job and it's something you literally have to work for every day to stay where you are," Thompson said. "Your goal is always to move up, (but) especially to stay where you are, it's not easy. It's just something that you have to get used to."

Things got better for Thompson, as he finished the campaign in WBS with 10 goals and 25 points to his name. The 6-foot, 200-pound forward admits that he had to change his style once arriving in Wilkes-Barre, realizing he wasn't always going to score the big goals.

"I had to develop into just more of an all-around player and be able to do some of the little things, that at school, I didn't necessarily have to do to have success," Thompson said. "At this level, you need to do those things. It took me some time, a little longer than I wanted, but I think I developed pretty well."

Thompson is pleased with his situation in year two. He loves being around the rest of the team on and off the ice, and the tight-knit group helps to make things fun. And the organization itself isn't bad either.

"I just think from top to bottom, we've got a great group of guys," Thompson said. "The management and all the coaches are really good guys and really personable. It makes things a lot easier."

Points are coming easier for Thompson as well. Just like in New Hampshire.

Video Link

Pretty good for an undrafted guy. And he's from BV / Coach Bob territory. :D
It's A Great Day for Hockey!!!

Stay out of my profile Goulet!!!

#2 User is offline   billvill 

• It's JohnSTON and I was never a goalie!
  • Group: ADMINISTRATORS
  • Interests:Interesting stuff

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostBadger Bob, on 15 November 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

http://penguins.nhl....s.htm?id=645579

Video Link

Pretty good for an undrafted guy. And he's from BV / Coach Bob territory. :D

Guy's a bulldog. I love how he plays. Of course, I hated his ass when he played against UML.
I'm Dan Bylsma, and I'm Fired!

Author of such classics as:

"How to blow a 3-1 series lead in 4 short steps"
"I don't care if you're a star, I've got Craig Adams"
"Grind dem bitches"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Badger Bob 

• I'm Here To Save The Pens
    Sleeping

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

View Postbillvill, on 15 November 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Guy's a bulldog. I love how he plays. Of course, I hated his ass when he played against UML.

I really like what I see about this kid so far. Maybe a 3rd or 4th liner someday? Hell, Kunitz was an undrafted guy. Maybe he's got some decent potential if he continues to develop at the AHL level.

#4 User is offline   billvill 

• It's JohnSTON and I was never a goalie!
  • Group: ADMINISTRATORS
  • Interests:Interesting stuff

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostBadger Bob, on 15 November 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I really like what I see about this kid so far. Maybe a 3rd or 4th liner someday? Hell, Kunitz was an undrafted guy. Maybe he's got some decent potential if he continues to develop at the AHL level.

Good comparison with Kunitz, he plays a lot like him. A bit less reckless on the forecheck though. He plays very tough on the puck down low in the O-zone. Very hard to defend. I wonder who he's playing with in WB/S?
I'm Dan Bylsma, and I'm Fired!

Author of such classics as:

"How to blow a 3-1 series lead in 4 short steps"
"I don't care if you're a star, I've got Craig Adams"
"Grind dem bitches"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Badger Bob 

• I'm Here To Save The Pens
    Sleeping

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

View Postbillvill, on 15 November 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

I wonder who he's playing with in WB/S?

I think they've had quite a bit of line juggling. You can get some insight from reading Bombulie's blog:
http://blogs.citizen...e.com/penguins/

I think they have a bloated roster with the lockout and Hynes has been trying to get time to everyone.

#6 User is offline   stonewizard51 

• It's Time For Hockey!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Doing the little things to irritate wifey without pizzing her off.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

View Postbillvill, on 15 November 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Good comparison with Kunitz, he plays a lot like him. A bit less reckless on the forecheck though. He plays very tough on the puck down low in the O-zone. Very hard to defend. I wonder who he's playing with in WB/S?

When I saw him a couple of weeks ago he was playing with Bennett and Smith. That's probably changed by now though.
Posted Image

" If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users