• You cannot reply to this topic

Ron Cook says... Get over it, Fans

#1 User is offline   billvill 

• Bitch grind no work, brain hurts
  • Group: ADMINISTRATORS
  • Interests:Interesting stuff

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Be glad that hockey is back

Can we all agree we're really ticked at the NHL owners and players for the ridiculous greed-driven lockout that deprived us of wonderful hockey for the past three months?
Good.
Now, let's get over it.
Bring on the games.
We're lucky in this town. We'll get past the lockout lunacy a lot easier than they will in many NHL cities such as Phoenix, Miami and Dallas. A big part of that is Mario Lemieux. Penguins fans will be quick to forget that he, as one of the team's owners, signed off on the lockout. That's if they even held it against him in the first place. To those fans, Lemieux can do no wrong. The same people who screamed about public financing for PNC Park and Heinz Field sang a different song when it came time to pay for Consol Energy Center. "Give Mario what he wants!"
But there is another important reason the Penguins will attract their 255th consecutive sellout crowd when the team plays its first home game later this month. The hockey is terrific. No other city has Sidney Crosby, the world's best player, and Evgeni Malkin, the NHL's most valuable player a year ago. So what if the Penguins underachieved in the playoffs in April, losing miserably to the Philadelphia Flyers in six games? So what if Crosby and Malkin came up a bit small at the worst time? So what if the penalty-kill and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury were awful? The Penguins will be a favorite to win the Cup in 2013. Do you really want to miss that ride?
Penguins fans aren't just passionate. They are extremely bright. They understand we get to watch great hockey here because of another lockout, the one that wiped out the 2004-05 season. The Penguins were a dying franchise then. Interest in the team was way down. There were no plans for a new arena. Lemieux put the club up for sale and surely would have allowed it to leave.
But the new labor agreement, which featured a salary cap, gave the Penguins a chance to compete against the deeper-pocket organizations. Then, the Ping-Pong ball, against overwhelming odds, bounced their way, giving them the right to draft Crosby. Suddenly, everything else fell into place. Lemieux wasn't interested in selling anymore and took the team off the market. Consol Energy Center was built. The Penguins became competitive again. The franchise has been printing money ever since.
That's why Lemieux and the Penguins supported the latest lockout even though they would have been just fine without it. They understand the NHL is bigger than just its healthiest franchises and needs its weakest to thrive. That's also why those knowledgeable Penguins fans will be able to write off the lockout as a sad, but necessary part of making the overall league stronger. If it takes three dark months to produce 8-10 years of competitive hockey, so be it.
Hockey will start again at its best time of the season. Because of the abbreviated schedule, every game will be meaningful. It will be a rough grind for the players, who will play more games in fewer days than usual. Injuries will be plentiful and significant. The team that wins the Stanley Cup will be the one that best deals with the inevitable attrition.
But what a joy the hockey will be for us to watch. What's left of the regular season will be one long, unending push toward the playoffs. Again, because of the abbreviated schedule, the Penguins games, which figure to be exclusively within their division and conference, will be so much more intense. Can you imagine seeing the Penguins and Flyers play seven times between now and late April? The Penguins and New York Rangers seven times? The Penguins and New Jersey Devils seven times? It's going to be fabulous.
Some might try to tell you the Cup will be cheapened by the shortened season. Nonsense. Look at it this way. Will you stand and cheer if NHL commissioner Gary Bettman hands the trophy to Crosby to hoist in late June? Do you think Crosby will say no thanks and give it back because it wasn't a full season?
This is a day for celebration.
Don't be mad.
Be glad.
Hockey, wonderful hockey, is back.
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.
First Published January 7, 2013 5:13 am

Read more: http://www.post-gaze.../#ixzz2HIAjwSq7

http://www.post-gaze...is-back-669374/
"Get to your game, boys"
"Coach, our game isn't working"
"Well, grind some bitches, then"

Posted Image

Man, that sixth one stung...

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   billvill 

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Go kiss the Bishop, Ron...
"Get to your game, boys"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   billvill 

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Wrote him...

Ron, I'm not getting over it. We deserve to be mad as hell!

This league of overpaid, entitlement whores and money grubbing billionaires deserve to feel some pain now. The pain that the fans have felt the last 3 and a half months. Personally, I won't spend a dime on the NHL this year. I'm not going to any games and not buying any NHL merchandise. I'll even go out of my way to avoid spending on anything sponsoring the NHL. I'm PISSED!

"Get to your game, boys"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Dingo 

• no dumb puppy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

atta boy BV!!! Give him hell!
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Robert Goulet 

• Says it all.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Liking stuff.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Shut up Ron Cook.
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Proud member of the Anti-Ballsma Club since 2010.

The thoughts expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of this board.

#6 User is offline   billvill 

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostRobert Goulet, on 07 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Shut up Ron Cook.

Exactly. I wonder if he'll write back? I got into a two week back and forth with Tim Panaccio a couple of years ago. That would be amusing.
"Get to your game, boys"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Robert Goulet 

• Says it all.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Liking stuff.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

This is the same Ron Cook who openly admits he only goes to a handful of regular season games.

Hey Pittsburgh media, don't tell me how I'm supposed to feel.
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Proud member of the Anti-Ballsma Club since 2010.

The thoughts expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of this board.

#8 User is offline   Dingo 

• no dumb puppy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

this is the article that made me mad

it implies we were too stupid to watch the juniors, or any other leagues we just watched the local yutz waddle around the rink.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   billvill 

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostRobert Goulet, on 07 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

This is the same Ron Cook who openly admits he only goes to a handful of regular season games.

Just wrote that douche as well.
"Get to your game, boys"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   FanSince74 

• purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Group: GLOBAL MODERATORS
  • Interests:Hockey
    DVDs
    RPG games

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Who paid these guys to put on the major spin? NHL Network was just as bad.

Yes, I am glad hockey is back. Yes, I know it is a business, but they screwed the fans and the 'little people' whose income depends on hockey.

They better not do this again in 8 years.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   stonewizard51 

• It's Time For Hockey!!
  • Interests:Doing the little things to irritate wifey without pizzing her off.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostFanSince74, on 07 January 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Who paid these guys to put on the major spin? NHL Network was just as bad.

Yes, I am glad hockey is back. Yes, I know it is a business, but they screwed the fans and the 'little people' whose income depends on hockey.

They better not do this again in 8 years.

They'll more than likely do whatever they dam well please. They proved they don't give a ratsazz about anyone but themselves this time. :angry:
Posted Image

" If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."

#12 User is offline   Hankey 

• wat
  • Interests:Bedroom Mascots.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostRobert Goulet, on 07 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

Ron Burkle saved the league!
Everything stated in this message is to be considered my own opinion, and not an official representation of Pensunderground or any other Pensunderground Message Board user. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, and license. Some assembly required. Each sold separately. Batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist, contact a physician. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Keep in a cool dark place. Any disclaimer issued by me is subject to change without notice.

#13 User is offline   JoePa 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

F you Cook!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Badger Bob 

• What? Me Worry?
  • Interests:Penguins, Pirates, Steelers, Pitt FB, Pitt BB, PSU FB
    Sleeping

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Sports columnists and talk show hosts are paid to get people riled up. More and more, I'm ignoring all their bullshit. I rarely read a sports opinion these days because it's usually 2 minutes I'll never get back. I spend most of my time in the car listening to sports radio only to get news and maybe listen to some of their tripe until I get tired and switch the station, which usually happens quite often.
It's A Great Day for Hockey!!!

Stay out of my profile Goulet!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users